Welcome!

This blog is about three brothers, Bossie, Savage and Foxtrot, and their fishing trips to fresh water destinations around South Africa and neighbouring countries. Bossie, Savage and Foxtrot are inexperienced anglers, sharing the lessons they've learned during their fishing outings. Come and read about the fish that got away and the stories they share. Please feel free to add your comments. This site is all about putting the fun back into fishing and sharing our little secrets that allowed us to land the big ones.We try and fish for almost everything out there in our fresh water rivers and dams. We'll write about angling spots, bait & tackle, our gear, technique and a lot more. Check out our pictures sections...we've got to show you proof right? ;-)

Comming Soon:

Vasfontein Bass Lodge - Bossie, Savage and Foxtrot run out of luck...

Modern Soft Bait Rigging Practices - Weekly look at modern rigging techniques and practices.

Gearing up - What do we use and why?

Tuesday, 20 March 2007

Bossie's trip to Top Lodge in the Drakensberg


Top Lodge
Pristine scenery, calm misty weather, a borrowed rod & reel and enough bass to keep me busy for a week. Top Lodge is a private little spot hidden in the Babangibone Valley in the northern Drakensberg.

My wife and I went there mid February this year and I can strongly recommend it to anyone. We met our hosts Gavin and Joan Everitt late that Friday afternoon. Gavin showed us around our private cottage and made us feel right at home. Earlier I had laid my eyes on a little dam just north of our cottage, so when Gavin offered me a Rod and Reel, I had to accept
Saturday Morning
Early the next morning after a brisk hike in the hills, I took my wife back to the cottage, made her some coffee and snuck off. I approached the little dam like a cat sneaking up to its pray, inspecting and analysing the contours and shadows. I left all my gear at home, but found everything I needed in Gavin's tackle box.

The water was shallow and stained from the leaves. I couldn't see very deep but could make out enough movement to spot my target. And so, with a floating popper lure, the hunt began.
I only fished for about two hours, caught two and missed a few more. It was great fun.

What else?
Besides fishing, Top Lodge offers a whole lot more. Here are some of things you can do, see and have access to when visiting Gavin and Joan at Top Lodge:

- braai / barbecue
- onsite- fireplace
- fishing (less than 3km)
- fishing onsite
- golf (less than 5km)
- horse riding (less than 5km)
- kitchen (fully equipped)
- lake onsite
- microwave in unit
- nature trail (less than 2km)
- nature trail onsite
- parking all onsite
- private entrance
- restaurant (less than 5km)
- rock art (less than 20km)

You can contact Gavin and Joan at:
Local Tel: 036-4386575
Cell (1): 083-3681111

Cell (2): 083-9906384

No comments: